Sunday, September 28, 2008

Always Leave an Impression

There has been some interest expressed over the manner of my resignation after a six day stint with a Rona hardware store in Collingwood. Why they asked for a letter of resignation is beyond me, but I'm always eager to please my corporate masters. Before I wrote the letter, I debated over the vernacular to use. I could easily slip into business mode and crank out something polished, brief, and absolutely sterile. Or I could write what I really felt, throw some humour and sarcasm into the mix, and leave them wondering what happened. Apparently my decision caused a bit of a stir.



To the Collingwood Rona Management:

Dreadfully sorry, boys and girls, but I'm off to continue my fortunes in the wide world. I'm aware that none of my reasons will matter, as we are from different strata, but perhaps Amanda [HR manager] will find it useful as she hones her employee risk management skills.

Without further ado here it is: my official resignation.

Before I state my reasons, allow me to say that I have enjoyed my time with Laureen and the Paint/Flooring/Seasonal crew. It has become apparent to me, with one exception, that these individuals are some of your best prizes, despite certain struggles. I have also appreciated the frankness and knowledge of your management. Collingwood Rona lives and dies with individuals such as these, because God cannot save you if certain of the boys in the middle desk gain more influence.

I've become too used to working within a different picture than Rona can give to me. As an entrepreneur, my role encompasses many of the positions required to run this store. Obviously, a large operation requires different strategy, hence the corporate world, but this doesn't change the fact that I'm required to turn off many of my faculties in order to adjust to your system. That, I find troublesome. I might as well shoot myself now rather than wake up in ten years to find that I've become an unfortunately typical employee: a master of the appearance of work.

Finally, there will always be an issue of remuneration. I had wrongly assumed that my experience, ability, and people skills would be worth a larger sum. How foolish. An organisation which manages to keep running by sheer size and economic conditions will continue to exist without me. I do not see that changing, nor would I want to continue within that environment. Besides, why hire on especially adept person at a true living wage when two or three inefficient ones will do the work for the same wage? Bigger is better, right?

Best regards in your current and future ventures.

Jason Cole



There you have it. A transcript of the letter I gave. I wasn't angry at anyone or feeling spiteful -- aside from the general feeling of warmth which comes when I think of the corporate world at large. Perhaps I should clarify a couple points which I have the benefit of having seen. By and large, 90% of the regular employees in this Rona are freaking lazy. I have watched lichen grow faster on a rock than these people move. From my first to my last day of employment I put in as much work as two or three of them each day. As to my reference to the "boys in the middle desk," you can usually find several of them chatting amongst themselves while customers wander around looking lost. I would fire the lot, but they do aptly demonstrate the issues within the Big Box environment.

Because I know one of the managers there, I found out later that they had already been discussing promoting me to management. That was in less than six days. I felt a twinge of regret when I heard that, but I stand firmly by my decision. What I wrote cannot be altered, and it is truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do it, do it! Leave that glowing comment while your mind reels with the portent of what you just read.